BC Forums Community

Today's Posts LATEST POSTS

No Threads to Display.

Forums LATEST DISCUSSIONS

29th June 2024 11:35 by Luna
JUN
Midsummer and St Petertide are the favourite times for 'rushbearing', when rushes - or, in the eastern English Counties, new mown hay - are brought in procession to churches and ceremonially strewn there as a floor covering. In north-western England particularly, rushcarts with flower bedecked loads of plaited rushes were the focus of the procession, and 'the rushbearing' was the great day of the year.

"Good day to you, you merry men all,
come listen to our rhyme,
for we would have not forget
this is Midsummer time.
So bring your rushes, bring your garlands,
Roses, St John's Wort, Vervain too.
Now is the time for our rejoicing
Come along, Christians, Pagans, come along do."

Old rushbearing song.

29th June 2024 09:36 by Scrotnig
JUN
My ruthlessly pro-lockdown Tory MP claims crime in the area has halved since 2010.

These people simply don’t live in the real world.

Out. Out. Out.

28th June 2024 13:37 by wishingwell
JUN
I was in the supermarket earlier and spent ages trying to get a fiver into the self service machine, even though it appeared straight, so had the idea of note straightening machines, maybe they already exist but imagine the fortune I would make if each store had one!

Later on I visited the library where someone had left shit on the door handle, so had the idea of an extra door handle with a sign under saying, ' For dorty cnuts who can't be arsed washing their hands'

28th June 2024 08:23 by Reg Perrin
JUN
Precious few, however, one thing I did feel slightly confident about during his previous tenure was that Trump (then) had zero interest in American Imperialism and was unlikely to provoke a war through expansionist desires. Also, Trump was so fuckin unpredictable and vindictive, other world leaders who might fancy a bit of expansion would think twice about provoking him if they encroached somewhere that he did consider his interests.
The problem here, and he's said so himself, is that he doesn't consider Russia's incursion into Ukraine as his business and he probably feels the same way about Taiwan.
Putting aside any "legitimate" grey areas in both those cases, in the medium term , Trump withdrawing the USA from the world stage will undoubtedly embolden Nationalistic leaders who fancy a bit of localised warmongering, making a domino effect war in Europe and Asia pretty likely.

Please note Bob. This is an analysis that is perfectly balanced, reasonable, predictable and based on the historical lessons of Realpolitik, knowledge of historical regional conflicts and transparent international Geopolitics. It doesn't require the slightest soupçon of Nutjobbery or Conspiracy.

28th June 2024 08:20 by Luna
JUN
Sea travel to foreign parts thought to be safe after Midsummer - but guard against sea-sickness and outlandish foods!

"He that would not vomit at all, let him some days before he take ship, and after at sea - diminish his accustomed meat and, especially, his drink. But I think they do ill who all together restrain vomiting, for no doubt the working of the sea is very healthful. Therefore I would advise him to use his accustomed diet till he have hath sailed a day or two into the Main and then, after eating, let him seal his stomach with marmalade."
Itinerary 1617

"Concerning the diet of the french - it is nothing so good or as plentiful as ours, they contenting themselves many times with mean viands. As for the poor peasant, he is fain oftentimes to make up his meal with a mushroom or his grenuilles. (in English - mere frogs)."
The Complete Gentleman 1634.

1 members, 458 guests

22nd June 2024
zinzan is the new Helicopter champion with a score of 34
2nd June 2024
Joe 90 is the new Mahjong. champion with a score of 2,123
30th May 2024
The New Prince is the new Mahjong. champion with a score of 540
30th May 2024
The New Prince is the new Bookworm champion with a score of 10,680
1st May 2024
The New Prince is the new Bubble Popper champion with a score of 140
1st May 2024
The New Prince is the new Alchemy champion with a score of 1,478
1st May 2024
The New Prince is the new 5 Card Draw champion with a score of 140
1st May 2024
The New Prince is the new 2D Memory Trial champion with a score of 806

29th June 2024
Joe 90 is the new Mahjongg champion with a score of 176
28th June 2024
superwoman is the new Multilevel Mahjong Solitaire champion with a score of 36,450
26th June 2024
Remko is the new Cosmic Switch champion with a score of 28,350
19th June 2024
TheDruid 3X3 is the new Binggrae champion with a score of 12,317
13th June 2024
superwoman is the new MahJong champion with a score of 1,423
13th June 2024
Remko is the new Cloud Breakout champion with a score of 42,437
11th June 2024
Remko is the new Ball Toucher champion with a score of 21,313
9th June 2024
Joe 90 is the new Mahjongg Sport champion with a score of 104,392